|By Lisa VanWilliams|
4 small zucchini (sliced thin and lightly salted)
1 pd ground beef
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
1 small green pepper diced
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 16oz jar tomato sauce
1/4 cup red cooking wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 small container fat free ricotta cheese
1 10oz frozen chopped spinach
1 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a deep 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices. Sprinkle slices lightly with salt.
- Start by sauteing the garlic, peppers, and onion until they are soft. Add the ground beef and black pepper & garlic salt in a large skillet over medium high and cook meat until the pink is gone. Drain excess fluid from meat. Stir in tomato sauce, wine, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer sauce for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, stir egg, ricotta, and parsley together in a bowl until well combined.
- To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of prepared pan. Then layer 1/2 the zucchini slices, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, all of the spinach, then 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat by layering the remaining meat sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella. Spread Parmesan cheese evenly over the top; cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil; raise oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.