|By Lisa VanWilliams|
Quiche is a great high-protein anytime snack to keep on hand. It's great for a home warming gift, new neighbors, parents of newborns coming home from the hospital, a nice gesture for your co-workers, or simply made with love for family & friends.
It's one of those dishes that can either be really bad for you or pretty healthy, it all depends what you put in it. You can opt for all veggies, go with goat cheese instead of cheddar or swiss, use only egg whites or a few yolks, don't use any crust to keep it low carb, add fresh herbs and spices. The possibilities are endless when is comes to fillings.
Today we started with:
- 2 pre-made pie shells of your preference from frozen isle at store (if you like to make your own feel free but this is a great time saver)
- 1 onion and 1 pepper cut up (sprinkle w salt & pepper) and cooked until soft in some olive oil
- ounce cooled off put them on bottom of pie crust
- cut up 1 pound of low sodium ham sprinkle over onion & peppers
- sprinkle with cheese of choice -we had low fat swiss & Monterey jack
- a dozen eggs whisked with 1 cup of skim or low-fat milk add salt & pepper again
- pour over the pile and level it out
- bake 350 for one hour until top starts to brown
- cool off and serve