|By Lisa VanWilliams|
Ok Ok we could not resist and had to jump on the October pumpkin bandwagon and throw one recipe out there with pumpkin in it - and this is a good one. If you like the pumpkin muffins at Dunkin Donuts, you will like this cake except a slice of it won't set you back the 550 calories. It's a great seasonal anytime of the day snack that will make you feel like your indulging without ruining half of your days caloric intake.
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, softened, plus a little extra to grease the pan
- 2 1/4 cups 100% whole wheat flour plus an extra handful for dusting pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups organic cane sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350. Butter Bundt pan and dust with flour -tap out excess flour. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.
Whisk together pumpkin, 3/4 cup buttermilk, and vanilla in another bowl.
In this last bowl, beat room temp butter and sugar with an electric mixer a few minutes then add eggs and mix. Reduce speed to low and add flour and pumpkin mixtures until batter is smooth. Pour your batter in your greased pan and level it out.
Bake smack in the middle of your oven for 50-60 minutes until your tooth pick comes out clean. Once cooled, pop it out of the pan and drizzle the frosting on and sprinkle with nuts. Enjoy !