Thursday, March 19, 2015

Seed Starters

By Lisa VanWilliams
If you live in New England, now is a great time to start your seedlings indoors. We picked up a starter kit for under $5, and we were able to get all organic seeds on sale for 40% off. My daughter has been asking me for dayyyyssss when we could do this project. Today she was home sick, and it kept us occupied while her brother napped.  We used a pencil to make holes in the soil and then dropped the seeds into them.




We put the seeds in a little cup so she could pick them easily.


We did not cover up the holes until we were done with the whole tray, so we knew which squares we had done already. Label them, water them, and wait! My daughter loves to check on their progress daily even though it will take a few weeks for any sprouts. It's a great way to get them involved and show them how the whole process works.  When the plants are big enough, and it's warm enough, we will transfer these to our outdoor garden.

It's also a great time to start a herb garden. I like to keep some basic herbs on my back porch in the Summer and use them whenever I can when cooking.




2 comments:

  1. Post pictures as they grow! I always can get them to sprout, but then when I transfer, I always kill them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,good idea! We planted extra...we don't NEED 12 green bean plants but half will die. I will buy a few too later on if I see a must have (or they all die and I need replacements) ha

      Delete