Saturday, February 7, 2015

Crayon Hearts

By Lisa VanWilliams

This is a popular one I have been seeing moms making for a few years now and today was our first attempt. Valentines Pre-K party on Thursday! I spent a half hour this morning with my daughter peeling 4 years worth of crayons we have accumulated over the years at numerous restaurants, diners, and cheap crayons that come attached to the coloring books that break before you even get half way done. It's a great way to clean up the crayon basket and get rid of all the broken pieces. For roughly $7 we are giving her 16 classmates these cute Crayon Valentines Cards, plus they are fun and easy to make.



I got the silicone mold at Jo-Ann Fabric on sale for $6.59. If it's not on sale, it goes for $10.99 but you can always go to their website and print off the 50% off additional coupon. I picked up the Disney cards at the Dollar store, and I used some old Christmas ribbons to add some flair.



Try to use similar colors. That's hard for a two and a four year old to do, but once they are done with their 3 minute attention span, you can always go fix the color palette later.




Bake them in the oven at 250 degrees for 20 minutes or so. Until all the crayons are melted and the surface appears to look flat. Remove them and let them cool. I popped them in the freezer for a bit to eliminate the number of times I heard, "Are they ready yet?" "Can we take them out now?" "How bout now?" "Are they ready now?"

I glued them onto the valentines cards with UGlu Power Patch which in a non-toxic instant glue grip. I punched a hole on the card and added a red ribbon. Enjoy!






3 comments:

  1. Love this idea for a valentine! Anything besides candy... I have so many crayons I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea for a Valentine (or for any type of small gift), especially now that so much schools are doing away with candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for using up broken crayons! I've always wondered what to do with them....

    ReplyDelete